Thursday, December 1, 2022

November 24, 2022 - Article Track

Location: DRH (field next to road and warmup rings) 

Conditions: part sun, cool, track was in shade the whole time, 38F 

Cover Type: thick grass with spread manure

TL: 8:58am TR: 10:10am 

Tracks: 1 ~ 150 - 160 yrds total

Articles: Used my 7 articles that I am sticking with for a while

Pattern: S10W15; articles at steps 8/9 (same pattern I've been using with food)

Leg 1 ~ 85-90 yrds

  • Start - leather piece w/ food on top (acknowledged)
  • Brown knit glove w/ food (nicely indicated)
  • Green leather glove w/ food (nicely indicated)
  • Bandana - no food (nicely indicated - did food on item, moved/indicated/food on item x 3 --> enthusiastic return to tracking

Open left turn - (had a fair bit of spread manure and near tree line) - LOS, went right a bit, returned quickly, went right again and spent more time smelling, then did a quick return and straight down the leg

 Leg 2 ~65-70 yards

  • Wallet w/ food (nicely indicated)
  • Brown leather glove - no food (missed - had to point it out to her - once I pointed it out she seemed more interested, moved/indicated/food on item 3x -->not quite the same level of enthusiasm but I didn't detect loss of drive per se (it should be noted that she typically "likes" the bandana, which was part of the reason I made it the first 'no-food' article.
  • End - blue canvas/suede glove w/ food (nicely indicated)
 
Questions:
  1. Should I wait to switch in a new article till she does not "miss" any articles on an article track? I'm happy to stick w/ the ones I've been using for another track or two, but don't want to do so too long (for reasons you've explained to me :))
  2. When she misses and I see it - making her return was the correct thing to do, right?
 
Mea culpas: Sorry I didn't get to track again this week.  I was hoping to end my day early today actually, but couldn't so I did do conditioning walk (2.5 mi) instead since I can do that in the dark.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

March14, 2025 (Friday) @ VGL (TDX style practice track)

  Goal - work on elements of TDX style track particularly bouncing off, working alongside, and entering the woods. Things I liked:  Mila...