Friday, November 29, 2024

November 27, 2024 (Wednesday) - VGL

 

Nov 27, 2024
 
Great location (permission only) - substrate was a mix of green and brown grass medium length.
 
Goal - long, straight track - highly reinforcing;  try something slightly different w/ articles
Articles (food=*) -  S-mask*; 2-suede glove; 3-glass case*; E-wallet
 
~280 yrds total
TL: 8:55am/9:15am - 38oF, H:82%, DP:33o
TR: 10:00am (10:12am) - part cloud with diffuse bright sun coming through.
 
Very still and quiet - so could really hear dogs barking, leaf blowers, etc in distance - she handled those well w/out preoccupation. 
Intentionally laid track on a somewhat higher "flatter" portion of open field. Kept it away from too much downhill sloping/woods to keep scent from drifting much. I wanted this one to present as much focus on track as possible. 
 
Mainly - W20FD@20,21 or did scuff @ 20.
 
Water
1. Drank @ car ~ 30 min before track
2. Offered @ article 3, denied
3. Drank very readily after done but still at the end of the track
4. Offered back @ car, denied (note, we walked for a while - in and out of woods - after the track so I was a bit surprised she didn't drink, but I think at that point she was a bit tired) 
 
So pleased with how she did and how much she "enjoyed" herself on this one. And, although she denied water after article 3, her restart was enthusiastic...even trotted down the track a bit.
 
Okay - article observations/changes
  1. Continued to add food to some - upped the food ante with even better "food" - I had some leftover salmon cakes so I used pieces of that - she thought that was the bomb. I typically try to use a better treat for article reinforcement than what's on the track.
  2. I added small scent pads under each articles (except for start) - Judi/Mary Ann - what do y'all think about that? How long can I use them? If I continue, should I very them (so sometime the article has a scent pad and sometimes it doesn't)? It definitely seemed to help get her to 'stay' at the articles longer, which will help w/ #3.
  3. Indication change - I want to move away from down as her indication. She will do down readily during article games but just does not seem to "want" to do it while tracking. In part because she's a bit precious about substrates she will deign to down on readily, but also I think there's something else going on that is a doggie mystery. Sooo, I'm trying to get a longer standing at the article. This has had mixed results before as this is somewhat unreliable in terms of how long she'd stand - she'll frequently pause but if I'm not quick enough in noting it (and frankly sometimes her pause is minuscule). But, that's because I'd be unclear because I'd do article games, etc with the down. For this track, I used 'wait'...which is a cue she knows; however, I'd like to quickly transition this old cue with a new one. Question - ultimately, I'd like the stand to be coupled with her looking at me to make it even more clear. My inclination is to have her come to my hand - "looking" at me for the treat and then treat again on the article itself. Judi/Mary Ann - Thoughts on that or any of this?

5 comments:

  1. Of course I have comments, I’m sure MAM will too!😅. Love the SP under the articles. Did you put food on them? Either is fine, just wondering which made her stay there. I’m glad you’ve finally given up on the down. I just think she’s uncomfortable (physically). I denied that with Gusto for far too long….ask Kyla! If you give the verbal cue to wait, does she look it you when she hears your voice? If so, that’s your starting point. You will return to her once she gives eye contact—and she’s not to move while you are in route. I have a suspicion that an easier indication will help with her motivation. Time will tell! Seriously, if she has to walk aaaallllllll the way back to you (that’s Mila talking, not me), I think that’s going to take some carrots out of her motivation pile. So let’s aim for what Gusto does—stop, sniff, & turn his head and stare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She doesn't look at me...that was part of why I got flummoxed when I first started this last season. So, she'll pause and wait...as I approach, I can tell (don't ask me to articulate exactly what I'm seeing at this point) that she is acknowledging my approach. So with this one, I would say 'yes' when I got up next to her and the treat her with her face towards me, then I treated again on the article a couple times, picked it up and off we went after I said 'okay' (I know, terrible release word, but it is unfortunately the one I have installed...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, as our dog’s can read our most minute actions, so we ‘see’ things with our subconscious that we can’t actually describe. Neurologically, your brain is recognizing a pattern that isn’t yet part of your conscious thought. FWIW, it’s how we make decisions under pressure (the things you do ‘without thinking’ to avoid an auto accident). So I fully believe you recognize her acknowledgment of your approach. Which, as long as she’s willing to stand still until you arrive, is perfectly fine. The challenge is on you—you have to hold to criterion. Again, I wouldn’t pick on her—sure, deliver the treat so that she turns her head towards you, pick up the article and send her on. I think it’s possible Mila isn’t quite as OCD as her owner…and perhaps doesn’t have as much patience with owner’s OCD as we would like.😉

    One of the major reasons I insist on a down or retrieve is because they are easily defined by the trainer—it’s easy to say ‘yes, criterion met’ or ‘nope.’ Since we probably won’t see what you do, the pressure is on you to make sure you’re consistent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes complete sense! Thank you! I will work on being consistent with my actions and criteria :)!

      Delete
    2. Oh and I'm pretty sure for article 2 & 3, I scent padded and stepped on the article. For the end I don't remember if I stepped on it too or not.

      Delete

March14, 2025 (Friday) @ VGL (TDX style practice track)

  Goal - work on elements of TDX style track particularly bouncing off, working alongside, and entering the woods. Things I liked:  Mila...